Types Of Gun Crime Cases I Handle
Compared to the rest of the country, California has fairly strict gun laws. A variety of alleged offenses can be charged as gun crimes in California, including:
- Purchase of a firearm without a valid permit to do so;
- Possession of certain types of firearm, like a short-barreled shotgun, without a Dangerous Weapons Permit;
- Possession of an unregistered firearm;
- Sale of firearms without a valid license to do so;
- Possession of a weapon banned in California;
- Open or concealed carrying of a firearm without a valid permit;
- Making illegal alterations to a firearm, such as removing its serial number;
- Carrying a firearm in a place where firearms are prohibited; and
- Trafficking stolen or illegal firearms.
Additionally, using a firearm to commit certain violent crimes can cause your violent crime charge to be raised to a more serious offense or subject you to more severe penalties.
Defending Your Case Against A Gun Charge
As your lawyer, it is my job to fight your charge. I take a multi-pronged approach to defending clients’ cases. One part of my role is advising clients about their cases to help them make informed choices about the legal actions they take, which could involve accepting plea deals I negotiate with courts or choosing to appeal court rulings.
Another part of my role is fighting the charge to demonstrate your innocence to the court. This is a multi-pronged process that involves:
- Negotiating with the prosecutor to reduce your sentence;
- Conducting a full pretrial investigation to determine the validity of the prosecution’s evidence and testimonies;
- Procuring expert witnesses to provide testimony to support your case;
- Work to have your charge lowered or dropped; and
- Interview police and all other parties involved in the case to ferret out any lies or exaggerations affecting it.
Call The Law Office Of Steve Whitworth Today To Schedule Your Free Consultation
When you are facing a gun crime charge, do not wait to start building a legal defense strategy with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Get started on your defense strategy today by contacting the Law Office of Steve Whitworth to schedule your free legal consultation. During your consultation, we will go over all the details of your case to determine the right way to move forward with your defense strategy.
“I would recommend Steve and his team to anyone in need.”- John H.
“He showed up at 4 am while I was in jail to brief me on how to get out. He not only got me out but got me the best possible deal. I was facing 15 years in prison and I got 30 days house arrest.”- Curt L.
“He is very good and educated at what he does.”- Shelby V.
What Sets Us Apart?
Honest & Reasonably Priced Representation
Aggressive & Experienced Trial Lawyer
Won Over 130 Cases in 7 Years
Named as Superlawyer For the Last 10 Years
Free Initial Consultation & 24/7 Availability
Spanish Speaking Services Available